Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mean Mommy Award

So today was a rough day. Apparently I won the "Meanest Mommy Award" from my daughter. I think I may have won it from Jack too, considering how much crying and drama there was today.
Jack is still sick. He is wheezing and coughing a bunch, but as always, he is smiley and generally in a good mood. Except for when you have to touch him. See, I took him to the doctor today, a different one because our normal pediatrician is out of town. Jack DID NOT LIKE this doctor at all. Now, it could be his age, but whatever it was, as soon as I walked in the door of this joint, Jack started having a cow. Even in the waiting room. The exam was torture, or rather, you would think he was getting tortured with all the screaming and crying going on. But good news is no infection for our little man. We are keeping on with the breathing treatments and watching for improvement by Thursday.

Jack has also decided he does NOT LIKE breathing treatments anymore. This is not good, considering I have to give them to him every 4 hours around the clock. Holding him while holding the mask has become a type a wrestling match. He bucks and throws and screams and hits. YUP! You read that right, I seriously got slapped like 5 times today! UGH. Definitely mean mommy award from Jack today.

This afternoon I earned my second award from my daughter. She was really ticked at me because I made the call that there is no playing after school this week while we were working on our "Living Museum" biography and speech. You see, our teacher Mr. Devereaux assigned a major project (last minute in my opinion) and its due Friday. YUP, like two days away Friday. And since I already passed the third grade, I wasn't going to do this project for Sydney (I actually used this line on her today. You know the line... the "Hey, this isn't my homework" line. ) AND this lovely project needs to be completed on top of the normal Tuesday homework of spelling and social studies and reading. ICK. I swear, it really bugs me when teachers cram all the stuff at the end of the year!

So, nevertheless, Sydney was not allowed to ride her bike until she put some serious effort into this project. It didn't have to be completed but just worked on, you know, with gusto! And that decision from me earned me the biggest glare and pout I have seen in a long time. I seriously had to bite my tongue from reacting strongly, because I knew that I am sick and my tolerance level was low. I was firm about disrespect but indifferent about the loss of activity. Hey, blame Mr. Devereaux, not me! Anyhow...Definitely mean mommy material.

My sweet husband just walked by and kissed the top of my head when he read my blog title. I hear him right now, giving a 5 minute warning till bedtime! Only 5 more minutes till the kids go to bed! YEA!
And I just heard the whine from Sydney. UGH...
Do they have mean daddy awards?
Love these kids but I think both of us are soooo done with today!

1 comment:

Paige said...

Isn't that so hard to feel like a mean mom? You're just doing your job and you're a great mom. Hang in there.