Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Saying Goodbye to Mr. Blue

Today we said goodbye to one of our dear family members Mr. Blue.
Last night Adam and I found Mr. Blue outside of his bowl. An apparent "escape to freedom maneuver" that went terribly wrong. How he jumped we CAN NOT figure out but it was so alarming to walk into the room and to find him stiff on the table! Crazy!
Anyhow...we told Sydney about Mr. Blue's death after school today. After catching her breath from crying, she immediately asked two questions.

1. Can we bury him in the backyard
2. Can she get a new fish today

So, I tried to get Sydney to understand that a person usually flushes a fish, or as I said it, sends him on a water journey back to the ocean. But Sydney would not have it. No putting our pets where we potty! So a burial in the backyard was planned for the evening.
Adam, always a good sport, attended the funeral, along with Jack. It actually was very nice. We had a moment remembering Mr. Blue. We gave him flowers and we made him a cross. Sydney actually cried a lot about him today. I was glad to give her the closure she needed with him.

Here is a picture of Jack and Sydney at the fish funeral. Jack hugged Sydney while she was weeping.

Here is Sydney decorating his grave site
Here a picture Sydney wanted me to take of his flowers and cross
Here is Sydney spending some quiet alone time with Mr. Blue after we all went inside. She really will miss him...
Here is the picture that makes it all better..
Sydney and her new fish "Little Red". She's a cute red beta and we dig her new home with the tiki totem pole guy.
What a wonderful gift today was. I am so grateful that I am the mom to this sweet tenderhearted little girl. She sacrifices and gives to others freely, like with her locks of love donation and she loves openly and deeply and freely. She is compassionate and caring. I know she truly will miss her fish friend and I know she will truly love her new one. "A giver" that is what this little girl is...of her things and her love. Amazing! How lucky am I to live with her everyday!

No comments: