Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Skinny Jean Dilemma

The Skinny Jean Dilemma.
Sydney likes to wear skinny jeans. Its the fashionable way to go these days. Flare and Boot Cut are so last year and anyone who is anyone in the 4th grade wears skinny jeans. (Or so I have been told).
I supported Syd in her first fashion quest. Found some skinny jeans at Old Navy that were both stylish enough for her and affordable enough for me. We bought a good hunk of them in August and Syd was happy as a clam.
And so was I.
Until.
I started to notice....
wait for it....
Butt Crack.
Yup.
More and more I started to notice butt crack with my daughter and her friends. Anytime anyone bent over to look at something or get something I was assaulted by butt crack.
Tying her shoe
Butt Crack
Putting a game in the Wii
Butt Crack
Picking up her room
Butt Crack.
And I became more and more annoyed.
WHAT TO DO?
I gave my sweet daughter plenty of warnings. Pull Up Your Pants was said so often I'm sure Jack can say it too. I had discussions about needing to change her wardrobe if she couldn't manage her clothing properly. I reminded and reminded so much I have lost count.
Today was the day.
I saw so much hiney today I told her (calmly I might add) to go change her pants and bring me her jeans. I called Adam to confirm my decision. And then I told her.
No More Skinny Jeans.
Its modesty over fashion in this house. If you can't keep your privates covered you will not wear that style.
Its about respect for your body and for others. Its about safety. I can't guarantee she's pulling up her pants at school. Who knows who's caught a sneak peek at her bottom.
It's quite obvious that this announcement didn't go well.
Such is the Skinny Jean Dilemma.
I'm telling you, I never thought when I signed up as a parent I would be arguing over butt crack.

***P.s. Not sure when a 'second' chance will be given to the pants of choice. Adam is thinking a trial run in August before school clothes shopping?
Hmmmm we'll see***

3 comments:

Costellos said...

I'm with you on this one!! So hard to teach respect for body when all they want is to fit in. Let's hope skinny jeans are out by next school year and better-coverage jeans are in!

Paige said...

That is great mothering Kathi! Making the unpopular decisions and sticking by them. I hope I can do as well.

Jen said...

Wow, who knew the clothing dilemmas would be one of the hard parts of parenting! I am so frustrated when I see parents who let their kids wear inapppropriate clothing that shows too much skin. Way to go for making a tough choice. I hope all goes well.

I have a confession, I wear boot cut jeans. :)I guess I'm so last year!