I am very excited about how independent my children are getting. Sydney is a real gem of a girl. Smart and funny and so lovely, one of the neatest things is to see her grow more independent everyday. From tying her shoes when she was little to helping with dinner and cleaning her bathroom now, she is growing up everyday.
And now on her heels is Jack. What a kid, I tell ya. He is such a sweet sweet boy. Except when he isn't. But that's nothing permanent. Just his toddler independence coming out. Lately he has wanted to give himself his own breathing treatments. He likes to hold the gizmo and take over the whole session. I let him, with supervision of course. He loves to call the shots. And sometimes I don't think it hurts to let him.

But lately my fellow has been showing off his independence with tantrums. A bit of screaming and yelling at me. Of course I am not to fond of this and don't stand for it. We speak kindly in this household. Just a moment ago I found myself on the mommy battlefield over these cars.

Jack likes to hoard things now. He carries multiples of his cars around and demands them with him
everywhere he goes. Well, its terribly difficult to change a diaper and put a toddler into PJ's when there are four cars on his tummy! So I removed them to the dresser. And WHOA! You would have thought I pulled off his toenails or something. The wrath of Jack came upon me full force! :)
I promptly stopped the screaming with a stern Mommy voice. I don't like it when he thinks he can scream and get what he wants. That is No Bueno. If I allow that, can you imagine how he will be in public? I cringe thinking about it.
Oh, the toddler independence. It comes at you like waves in the ocean. You just have to brace yourself and remind yourself it will pass soon!
And see just a few minutes later, my boy is happy as a clam on the carpet playing. Gotta love 2!

1 comment:
Ridge used to hoard cars too at that age. He'd have to bring all of them to church in his car backpack. And since he was the first child, we gave in and he'd dump all these cars at church. What were we thinking?
It is nice when they gain more independence and confidence in themselves.
Post a Comment