For those of you that don't know, I grew up in a Mormon household while I was a youth. It was great and definitely kept me on a straight and narrow path while I was a teenager. Each morning during high school I attended early morning Seminary which is the custom in the LDS faith. I think it started at 6:30 a.m. but it could have been 6:15 a.m., I can't remember. It was brutal, getting up at 5:15 every morning. Remember how much teenagers like to sleep? Somedays I just looked terrible, because I slept in until 5:50 and my ride came at 6 or so. And during my junior and senior years, when I was the ride to the younger youth, man, that was rough. But it did teach my responsibility. But it taught me so much more than that. All 4 years of high school I went to a Sunday School type class and studied the scriptures. The Bible took two years, a year for the Old and New Testaments.
Most Seminary classes changed teachers every year, but our seminary class had the awesome privilege of having Brother Clonts teach our group for three years. Our sophomore, junior and senior years. Brother Clonts was a mentor and a friend. A kind hearted, intelligent man that loved the Lord and taught us so so much. He had a heart for Christ and I looked upon him as a father figure in many ways.
Our Seminary class was a very tight knit group of kids. We rolled from Seminary to high school together. A lot of us were together with the Chamber Singers at Claremont High and we really really enjoyed that. Our group went to Mutual together (youth group) the guys went to Scouts together (a lot of them are Eagle Scouts) and we were together on Sunday's for church. We dated each for school dances (can you guess who I went to Homecoming and Girls League with?) and hung out at church dances together. These kids were some of my closest friends in High School. All of them and Jen and Kenya.
Our class has decided to have a Seminary Reunion. We chose the time because most of us travel back home to Claremont during the summer at some point. Our class is truly scattered all of the USA. The long 4th of July weekend this year seemed perfect for everyone.
I am so thrilled to see these friends after all these years. Its been 17 years since we graduated high school. I went to most of their Mission farewells and some of their weddings. I am really excited to meet their kids and catch up with most of them. Christmas cards and Facebook helps, but nothing is like hugging a good friend you haven't seen in a while.
Adam and kids are going to have a great time. Swimming, volleyball, and the just plain ol' good times. And they get to meet Brother Clonts. They will be blessed just to know him.
Adam is excited to catch a glimpse and meet the friends of my youth. Meeting child and high school friends again is just a really great thing. I can't wait to post all about it in July!




1 comment:
I'm sorry I can't be there. We were blessed by those mornings with Brother Clonts.
Post a Comment