Thursday, May 21, 2009

Don't you hate paying the bills?When I was a kid I remember hearing my friends dad say that paying your bills was a blessing. It was a time to be thankful and rejoice in the fact that you had the ability to pay for the things you need and to thank God for the gifts you use everyday.
Is that an awesome way to look at life?
I have to admit that I am not that good of a person yet.
I don't like paying bills. Any of it. Balancing the checkbook, budgeting, calculating, making decisions on what stays and what goes. What we can afford and what we can't. Deciding how much debt is too much debt. Isn't any debt too much debt?
Don't you wish money grew on trees?
I do!
Then I wouldn't have to decide between swim lessons and cheer camp. Between going to the movies or watching a video. Between name brand or generic.
Yes, I do sometimes wish money grew on trees...
But then where would my growth be?
I was thinking today that maybe...
Money like marriage was used by God in my life, not just to make me happy but to make me HOLY
We are stewards of what God blesses us with. And although I don't like to stay up with my checkbook, calculator and stack of bills, maybe this is a way for me to grow and mature. Am I using my monetary blessings God had given me just for my happiness? Am I spending too much on things and activities trying to fill up a place in that needs to be filled by things that don't cost anything, like family, worship and service? Are there places in our family budget I can refigure or recalculate so I can help my fellow man more? Can I buy less and give more?
Hmmm...
I don't really know the answer to this, but I know that I strive to think like my friends dad. I want to say to my kids that it is a blessing to pay my bills, an opportunity to thank God for all that we have been given. And I want to truly mean it.

No comments: