Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My "Not To Do List"

So I was reading a blog called the Flourishing Mother and I came across a post that caught my attention.
She posted a "Not To Do List".

I scoffed when I read the title.

BUT THEN

I stopped and thought about how I was feeling the last few weeks about my little life and how exasperated I felt at times. Exasperated not every moment, not even enough times that I can count on one hand, but enough to make me think that I may need to rearrange in my brain how I think and go about daily life.

This is why the Not To Do List kinda makes sense. I am no Martha Stewart. I can't do everything on my "To Do List" everyday. Everything is not going to be cozy and perfect and polished all the time!!
I need to cut myself some slack.
I am proud to say that I am a 'grace-filled dependent of Jesus Christ', a description that I read today. Seriously. Isn't that an awesome description? I am more filled with grace everyday as I goof up this or tangle myself up in that...
If I truly believe that description, then I don't have to be perfect or live an exasperated life. And I don't have to have everything on my to do list completed.
Filled with Jesus' grace and being dependent on Him. Ahhh. Sounds pretty good right?

So, before I start each day Rolodex-ing all the things I need to do, I think I will make an effort to come up with a few things I don't have to do each day.

My Not To Do List...

  1. I don't have to feel guilty about the laundry that is still in the dryer and getting wrinkled.
  2. I don't need pull every weed I see in the walkway or broom every cobweb the moment I see them.
  3. I don't need to pick up the toys off the carpet all day
  4. I don't have to go somewhere everyday!
  5. I don't have to say YES to every committee
  6. I don't have to make a real dinner every night
  7. I don't have to have a spring clean everyday


Pretty good start huh? What about you?
What don't you have to do today?
Taking off the perfection cloak feels pretty good!

No comments: