
Every now and again I stop by my friend's blog to catch up on the latest and greatest. I love being able to see what is going on with them and their families. I love the pictures and the stories of their newest adventures. Blogs keep me in touch and its so awesome.
Well, I noticed on my friend Paige's blog this little button. And widget. It was for nanowrimo.org and she was a participant.
HUH? I had no idea what nanowirmo stood for, but I know my friend Paige, she is so creative and brilliant that whatever she was involved in it had to be great. So I took a moment and went over to nanowrimo.org to see what it was all about.
Well check this out. It stands for National Novel Writing Month. And get this, its a challenge of sorts. Its a challenge to write a novel in 30 days. A 50,000 word novel. And to finish it by midnight November 30th.
Incredible.
But you see, the novel doesn't have to be perfect. Or published or even edited for that matter. It just has to be out there. On paper. Raw and uncut. Attempted. Just you and your words. Your creativity unleashed. Crazy huh?
And you know what, my friend Paige could totally do this!
I know it!
So, I read this to Adam and asked him if I should try this. I was half laughing when I said this of course. Like I could write a novel. The thought has never ever crossed my mind before. Ever.
And he responded, "Totally. You can do anything"
But I don't have anything to say!!
I don't.
Or do I?
Is it crazy to try to write a novel in the month of November? Hello...turkey day anyone? Seems like a lot, you know? But then again. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And you don't have to succeed. You just have to try.
A novelist.
Would be a fun fact to chat about at my next party.
So what have you been up to Kathi? Well, I have been busy with church and sports and family. And oh, I just started my first novel.
Ha... people who know me wouldn't see that one coming!
Anyhow...check out nanowrimo.org.
And join me in this adventure. We can novelists together.
******************************************************
Update: So I signed on to Word awhile ago. Thought I should begin this process. And you know what happened. I just sat there.
In front of a blank screen. With a cursor blinking.
Maybe I really don't have anything to say.
Maybe I am not creative enough.
Maybe I am crazy to try this
Maybe this is going to be harder than I thought.
Hmmmm...
I'll keep you posted.



2 comments:
Kathi! That tribute to me was too kind. But keep talking, I might start to believe in myself if other people keep saying it.
And you can totally do it. I've wanted to be a writer forever and have started so many stories but then left them there in my documents folder. So last year I did this challenge and it was so liberating. Since you are trying to get to a word goal, not necessarily a publishable document, you just write and write and write.
Last year my novel was like a really big outline, it jumped all over the place. This year I wrote out an outline first but let's face it, it is still awful. But I have to get to 50,000 words so I can't go back yet and change things. Don't go back and edit or change things, just keep writing.
You can do it. Start with what you know, maybe a character that had to have major surgery or deal with the death of a parent. You've got it in you Kathi! You can do it. Your blogging might suffer for a few weeks. Just channel that dedication into your words. Figure out how many words you have to crank out each day and just do it. We can trade and laugh at the awfulness of our novels at the end of the month -- and say that we did it!
Paige your words are so encouraging, but wow, this novel thing is harder than I thought. Its definatly not a natural ability, that for sure! I pray that you are having fun writing and that you are finding it as liberating at ever. Can't wait to see you reach your goal!
Post a Comment