Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I just might get into heaven yet!

Ha! If only it were that easy!
Did I mention that we purchased a headstone for my Grandmother? She has been gone for 4 years and when she passed away we gifted my uncle the burial plot next to my dad for her interment. I know, creepy thing to talk about. But here's the just of it. My Dad purchased two plots back in the early 1980's when Oakpark cemetery was running a two for one special for Veteran's. I know, leave it to my Dad to buy his cemetery plot with a coupon. SO my Dad.
Anyhow, when my mom remarried after my Dad passed away, it became clear that my mom would not be using the space next to my dad for herself. She wanted to be up here when the time came, not down in Claremont. So, when my Grandmother passed away, my mom offered the space to my uncle for my grandmother. Everyone is always tight on money and having a space next to my dad paid for seemed to make a lot of sense.
When my grandmother was buried my uncle took care of the funeral and our family gifted the space and the vault and the opening and the closing. So we assumed that someone was going to cover the cost and order the headstone. I guess everyone else assumed someone else was going to too, because for 4 years her grave was left unmarked.
Unmarked next to my Dad.
Yikes.
So, I don't know how often people go visit my Dad or my grandmother. And truth be told, I was not close to Grandma Anita. I didn't really know her, rarely saw her and my Dad and her had many ups and downs. But no one seemed to be concerned at all that her grave was unmarked. Maybe no one goes by there, so no one remembers. But I knew. Every visit to LA, we stop and see my Dad. I miss him. I want to go where he is. I want to make sure his headstone is neat and cared for. That his bench under the big Oak tree is in good shape. I want to hear the birds sing over him and teach my kids to pay their respects to the grandpa. I want them to know where he is and not be afraid when the go there.
So every time I would go, I would know my grandma was there too, unlabeled. How could I let that be? Everyone needs a headstone. I know my Dad was ticked off in Heaven that this had gone on so long.
So I just did it. I just purchased the headstone. And I didn't ask permission. Of my uncle. Or my aunt. Or my cousins. I only asked Adam if we could do this. And my sweet husband agreed. God bless him. And my mom was gracious enough to pay for the setting of the marker.
So it is done.
All on the Internet if you can believe it.
Incredible.
And the only reason I am blogging about it is so that there is a record.
Cause I know my family and someday someone may get their feathers ruffled about not choosing the style or something. I just want my kids to know that we did the best we could with the design and went for it. It just needed to be done.
So this trip was the first time we got to see it.
And I took a picture to show my mom.
I can't tell you how relieved I am.
I know, seriously, that my Dad and my grandmother are smiling in heaven.
It turned out wonderful and it made me happy.
No one show go unmarked.


The kids having fun while visiting my Dad.
Just like he would want it.

Hanging out on Dads bench under his tree.


My Dads marker.
Nice and clean.

1 comment:

Paige said...

That is a saintly thing to do.